All You Need to Know for Cleaning Outdoor Porcelain Tiles
Durability and beauty have always been the most significant factors in order to choose outdoor patio slabs or tiles. Whether you are planning to build a patio or walkways, the outdoor surfaces are meant to remain sturdy and look beautiful for many years to come.
Porcelain patios slabs are gaining a lot of popularity these days as they not only look great but also ensure longevity, versatility, and resistance to stains.
Despite being acknowledged for its ability to retain its gloss and colour, we cannot stop thinking about maintaining its beauty with proper care and cleaning tips. As cleaning outdoor porcelain tiles is a common concern, we have come up with this blog to help you out.
Let’s understand how to do it with precision so that these outdoor slabs withstand discolouration and staining for several decades and continue to be a great addition to your outdoors.
Before we jump straightaway on the cleaning tips, it is essential to understand the nature of outdoor stone tile in porcelain material.
Outdoor porcelain tiles are a type of ceramic tile which is extensively used to accentuate the beauty of outdoor areas of a space. Made from high-quality clay that is fired at extremely high temperatures, this material becomes sturdy and robust, which is undoubtedly its biggest strength. Besides the durability of porcelain paving slabs or tiles, there are other essential characteristics which make this material a preferred choice of several contractors, builders, and construction companies for outdoor projects.
Resistance to Stains:
With low porosity attribute, porcelain is less likely to absorb liquids and stains, making it a perfect material for outdoor areas and pool decks.
Low Water Absorption:
As this material doesn’t absorb water and liquids, it is less susceptible to cracking and damage from freeze-thaw cycles. This is one of the reasons why these slabs are preferred in regions with colder climates.
A Plethora of Designs:
Exuding a wide range of colors, textures, and patterns, porcelain patio slabs give designers the leeway to play with endless design options. They can choose tiles that perfectly complement the outdoor aesthetic.
With a slightly rough, textured surface, porcelain tiles are considered to be a safe material to use outdoors. Builders use them around pools where the chances of slipping and falling accidents are always high.
From patios to walkways to pool decks or even cladding outdoor walls, the wide application of outdoor porcelain tiles makes them a top choice.
Cleaning Outdoor Porcelain Tiles: Why Does It Require Regularity?
When it comes to maintaining the beauty and sheen of outdoor stone tiles, it’s important to be aware of the reasons why a regular cleaning is needed. Here are some of the points you must read:
- Though porcelain is a highly durable and stain resistant material, it is not susceptible to the accumulated dust, grime, and dirt caused by environmental factors. Thus, it is advisable to never neglect cleaning the slabs to prevent them from appearing abysmal, staining, and discoloration.
- The organic debris like leaves and twigs accumulate in the crevices of the slabs or tiles, making it difficult to clean the surface. It also leads to mold and mildew. Apart from turning the surface looking nasty, it increases the chances of slipping accidents as the surface becomes slippery due to molds.
- Porcelain paving slabs can lead to discolouration if you don’t immediately clean the organic stains, such as spoiled beverages or food items.
- The stubborn stains of rain water can spoil the appearance of the surface if not cleaned or wiped off regularly. It can also lead to algae and moss which are a challenge to remove if not addressed promptly.
They say, ‘prevention is better than cure. Therefore, a preventive cleaning is a key to maintain the aesthetic appeal of the porcelain patio tiles. Regularly clean the slabs to keep them away from dirt, dust, and grime. By doing this, you not only extend the lifespan of the porcelain tiles but also keep your family and visitors safe from health hazards and slipping accidents due to algae and moss.
What Are the Basic Cleaning Supplies and Precautions?
Cleaning outdoor porcelain tiles is not as difficult as nailing a jelly to the wall. If you have the right cleaning tools, then maintaining the lustre of outdoor patio slabs becomes easy-peasy. Here’s what all you need to begin with the cleaning process:
Buy Some Essential Cleaning Supplies:
For regular sweeping, use a soft-bristle broom which is an ideal tool to clean the loose dirt, dust, and leaves. Make sure you buy a gentle detergent without any abrasive ingredients as the presence of acidic elements can damage the surface over time. You must have a bucket for mixing water and detergent to wash the surface. Always use a soft cloth or mop to properly clean the tiles and avoid rubbing the slabs with the steel scrubber as it will surely leave scratches on the surface. Strictly avoid the usage of hard-bristle brushes that may damage the tiles.
Using rubber gloves and protective eyewear can really safeguard you from any chemical reactions on skin or accidental contact with cleaning solutions. Thus, make sure you take some safety precautions as well while cleaning outdoor porcelain tiles.
Follow Manufacturer Recommendations:
It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions while cleaning a particular material or product to ensure complete safety.
Steps Required for a Regular Maintenance Routine
For a regular maintenance routine, these are some of the steps involved:
- First things first, sweep the surface of the outdoor tiles using a soft broom.
- Then, take a bucket and mix a mild detergent with water. Make sure that this solution is recommended by the manufacturer to ensure that it is safe to be used on porcelain paving slabs.
- Next, take a soft cloth and dip it into the solution and mob the surface gently. Make sure you cover the stained areas evenly.
- Now, rinse the surface with clean water to avoid it being slippery because of soap residue. Proper rinsing ensures the tiles stay clean and free from streaks.
- Last but not least, dry the floor using a cloth. This will prevent the water spots from forming which mars the beauty of the slabs.
Use the right cleaning supplies as suggested and take the necessary precautions to avoid any accident. This regular maintenance routine will keep your outdoor area looking pristine and stunning than ever before.
How to Address Stains and Tough Spots?
If the stains and spills go unnoticed, they can turn really stubborn over time, making it difficult to clean them with a normal cleaning routine. But you can always tackle different types of stains like oil, grease, rust, food, and even algae if you use the right cleaning method.
- In case you notice a fresh grease stain, then you can use a blotting paper to let it absorb the excess grease, and then immediately use a clean cloth to remove it.
- To remove oil stains, you can sprinkle some baking soda onto the affected area and allow it to sit overnight. It is great to absorb oil. You can also use a mild detergent later on and scrub the surface with a soft sponge.
- You can even create a homemade cleaning solution with lemon juice and salt to clean the rust or water spots.
- To remove algae, mix equal parts of water and vinegar to create a solution. Apply it to the affected area and scrub with a soft brush. Rinse thoroughly with clean water later.
Use these strategies and keep your outdoors looking refreshing and clean for several years. To buy the premium quality natural stones for outdoor & indoor projects, choose Strata Stones- UK’s highly trusted brand. Place an order now!